Top Ten best displays at the 2015 Canadian International Auto Show
The Canadian International Auto Show (CIAS), now in its 42nd year, is Canada's biggest auto show with more than 1,000 new cars and light trucks on display from all of the major auto manufacturers
The Canadian International Auto Show (CIAS), now in its 42nd year, is Canada’s biggest auto show with more than 1,000 new cars and light trucks on display from all of the major auto manufacturers. This year’s show features 45 Canadian vehicle premiers which can be seen by the public for the first time at CIAS. The show runs from February 13-22 at the north and south Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
The theme of this year’s CIAS is “Life is in Motion” in recognition of the fast-paced, connected world that we live in, where we’ve become so reliant on technology and mobility. All of the auto makers recognize this desire to stay connected and are showcasing their latest technology offerings at CIAS.
I attended Media Day on February 12, taking in all of the press conferences where the auto executives discussed new models, technology and safety features. I’m not going to get into all of the auto news that was part of media day but instead I’ll share my top ten favourite displays at the show.
Ten displays worth seeing (in no particular order) at CIAS 2015:
- The 2016 Audi RS7 Sportback made its Canadian debut at CIAS 2015. This gorgeous, powerful sedan boasts 560 horsepower from a 4.0L TFSI V8. Starting price is $116,000. Audi Canada president Wolfgang Hoffmann told the media “if I could only drive one car for the rest of my life, it would be the RS7.” I agree with Mr. Hoffmann. I would certainly be content to live with this awesome luxury sedan.
- My favourite interior amongst the vehicles at CIAS 2015 is in the Jaguar F-Type R Coupe. The tasteful combination of premium leather, suede and carbon fibre plus red accent stitching is elegant and welcoming. The functionality of the cockpit is perfectly laid out with all the controls at easy reach. The F-Type R Coupe is available for public seating at CIAS and can be purchased at a Jaguar dealership starting at $109,900.
- Infiniti Q80 Inspiration Concept was unveiled by Infiniti Executive Design Director Alfonso Albaisa. This bold concept is the future design language of Infiniti and will evolve into a next generation premium sedan. All of Infiniti’s advanced technologies including autonomous driving are wrapped in this sleek, elegant package.
- The Auto Exotica exhibit is a must see, showcasing some of the world’s most prestigious automobiles including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce and Bentley. Three McLaren models are on display including the 12C, 650S Coupe and 650S Spider.
- The BMW M display is an impressive line-up of BMW’s performance M series. See the all-new X6M and X5M SUV’s and the popular M coupes, sedan’s and cabriolets at CIAS.
- The new 2017 Ford GT supercar can be seen for the first time in Canada at CIAS 2015. This awesome exotic will be made in Markham, Ontario in partnership with Multimatic. The GT is powered by an EcoBoost twin-turbo V6 mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox, transferring 600 horsepower to the rear wheels.
- Many of the auto manufactures have boutiques and lounges at their booths. The Mercedes-Benz Collection is quite spectacular with a large assortment of model cars, accessories and jewellery.
- Art and the Automobile display of rare classic vehicles is presented by Cobble Beach Concours d’Elegance and Murdoch Mysteries. Learn about the history of the automobile with vehicles dating back to the early 1900s plus original works of art from some of the world’s best known automotive artists. At the display entrance is a 1959 Cadillac Cyclone Concept Car.
- AutoConnect showcases the design work of students at Ontario colleges and universities. These bright young enthusiasts are the future of the automotive industry. See clay model sculptures and illustrations on display.
- Browse through the vendor marketplace where you’ll find a large variety of automotive products and services including this colourful display by RTX Wheels. Even if you don’t want different rims for your car, you’ll be impressed by the options available to customize your ride.