A race-prepared Hyundai Ioniq
hybrid prototype, developed by Hyundai Motor America’s Engineering and Quality team, set an FIA-approved production-based hybrid vehicle land speed record of 157.825 mph, with a peak exit speed of 160.7 mph at Utah’s renowned Bonneville Salt Flats.
The eco-focused Ioniq is Hyundai’s newest hybrid model, with hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrains to be available. Ioniq hybrid and electric models go on sale in late 2016.
“A key role of Hyundai’s engineering team is to thoroughly test all future vehicle prototypes to ensure they exceed the demanding expectations of our customers,” said Mircea Gradu, director, Engineering and Quality, Hyundai Motor America.
Also Read: Fuel-sipping Sonata Hybrid a great ride
“As we performed these tests on Ioniq, the engineering and quality staff became so impressed with the results that we began to wonder if we should raise our sights even higher, and the Ioniq land speed record effort was born.”
[caption id="attachment_99442" align="alignnone" width="730"]
Ioniq Land Speed Record Car: Nitrous Express single-stage direct-port nitrous injection with stand-alone fuel system, cockpit-controlled[/caption]
The development team made a number of special modifications to the Ioniq hybrid prototype to break the hybrid record, including:
- Low-restriction intake and exhaust systems with retained catalyst
- Engine, transmission, and hybrid ECU recalibrated and governors removed
- Air conditioning and ancillary accessories removed
- Nitrous Express single-stage direct-port nitrous injection with stand-alone fuel system, cockpit-controlled
- Ioniq Electric model front grille and valance integration
- Underbody and air dam aerodynamic modifications
- Interior components removed or lightened
- Progress Competition coil-over suspension with optimized spring, damping and sway bar rates and ride height lowered 100mm
- Lightweight aero wheels and wheel covers with Goodyear® Eagle tires
- Fully-integrated high-strength safety cage structure (Bisimoto-designed)
- Sparco® 6-point safety harness system, racing seat, and driver safety gear
- On-board fire-suppression system, battery disconnects and parachute