When it’s come on the radio, you’ve probably joined in the chorus more times than you can count: “She’s my little Deuce coupe; you don’t know what I’ve got…”
But do you know the coupe’s top speed? And how good is your knowledge of other car songs, especially the more obscure ones?
If you score 18 out of 15 (three of the questions carry a bonus point) in this quiz, you get… well, you should probably get a life.
1. What’s the tow-car in the Rip Chords’ “Hey, Little Cobra?”
2. In the Tradewinds’ “New York’s a Lonely Town,” what’s parked outside in the snow?
3.“Rails are the wildest” in Jan and Dean’s “Drag City.” But what are the stockers?
4.The Beach Boys’ “No-Go Showboat” is even beaten by what?
5. What does the heroine wind up driving in Nanci Griffith’s “Ford Econoline?”
6. How fast will the Beach Boys’ “Little Deuce Coupe” go?
7. What do Janis Joplin’s friends all drive in “Mercedes Benz?”
8. Chuck Berry’s wayward girlfriend “Maybellene” is in a Caddy. What’s he driving?
9. What did the Beach Boys save their pennies and dimes to buy? Bonus point for their full description of the car.
10. When Bruce Springsteen goes “Racing in the Street,” what does he drive? Again, bonus point if you can say what the car’s equipped with.
11. In Ray Peterson’s “Tell Laura I Love Her,” what was the prize in the stock-car race the ill-fated Tommy entered?
12. What was the car Jerry Lee Lewis sang about with “teardrop skirts shining in the sun?”
13. What was Bob Seger making back in ’55?
14. What did Paul Revere and the Raiders have that would beat a Hemi and a GTO? Another bonus point for the model as well as the engine option.
15. What’s the car the Surfaris insist you can’t boss around?
ANSWERS (click on the word for the video):
2. “My woodie”
4. The ice-cream truck
5. Coupe de Ville
8. V8 Ford
9. Four-speed, dual-quad, Positraction 409
10. ’69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor
12. Crown Victoria Custom ’51
14. SS396 Chevelle
Columns & Advice
Everything you need to know about purchasing, maintaining and driving your car.
Become a member
Register now to access all features including:
- Save and ask friends to review vehicles
- Exclusive rebates & offers from local dealers
- Premium content, reviews and tools
All for free!
Already a member?
Registration 2 of 2
Welcome to Wheels!
As a final step we've sent a confirmation to your email address as a security measure. Please click the link in the email to complete your registration.
Terms of services
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, TORONTO STAR IS PROVIDING THE TORONTO STAR WEBSITES ON AN "AS IS" AND â€œAS AVAILABLEâ€ BASIS AND MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, IN ANY CONNECTION WITH THE TORONTO STAR WEBSITES, THEIR CONTENTS, OR ANY WEB SITE OR CONTENTS WITH WHICH IT IS LINKED. TORONTO STAR DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTION OF THE TORONTO STAR WEBSITES OR THEIR CONTENTS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE TORONTO STAR WEBSITES OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE, SHALL TORONTO STAR BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF INCOME OR PROFIT, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, OR FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR CHARACTER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY COMPENSATORY, INCIDENTAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES), EVEN IF TORONTO STAR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE TORONTO STAR WEBSITES, THEIR CONTENTS, OR ANY WEBSITE OR CONTENTS WITH WHICH IT IS LINKED. IN NO EVENT SHALL TORONTO STARâ€™S TOTAL LIABILITY FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU FOR ACCESSING THIS SITE.X